Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Are Any Of My Readers Doctors or Nurses?

I have been exhausted all day and planned to come home and camp out on the couch. So why did I attempt to "straighten up" before I put on the pjs and hit the sofa?

I don't know.

And I burned my hand.

Yep. I wasn't thinking and grabbed my clothes iron. Oh. My. Dear. God. It hurts so bad. I burned a dime-sized area on the palm of my left hand. On the "pad," if you will, where the index finger meets the palm. I guess I am fortunate that it was my left hand because I am right-handed, but the pain is unreal. I've hand my hand under the faucet, on ice, and in ice water for 45 minutes now. I'm not exactly sure when I can/should stop that.

I went to the Safeway pharmacy about 15 minutes after I burned my hand, but they really didn't have anything for burns. The Pharmacist recommended Tylenol and Neosporin. It wasn't really the aid I was hoping for.

Are any of my readers in the medical field? How long do I keep it in water? Tylenol or Ibprophen? To wrap or not to wrap? Sweet Jesus.

Update @ 7:30 AM 8/31/06:
My hand finally stopped hurting by 10/10:30 PM. I'm not sure if it was time, the 3 ibprophens, or the 3 glasses of wine that did it. This morning the burn appears smooth and red — much like a curling iron burn. I guess now it's just a waiting game to see if a blister develops. I read it can take 24-48 hours for that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

Uncle Bob the Medic Boy and Girlfriend Jody the RN say if the skin is not broken keep it cool with ice and cool water and it will feel better tomorrow. If the skin is broken or blistered, cover with neosporin or triple antibiotic and bandage with the pad covering the burn. DO NOT POP A BLISTER on purpose.
Feel better.

August 30, 2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

I have never felt pain like this. Thanks so much, Missy.

August 30, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice. Ice it quickly, and keep it on it.

August 30, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger Brian Sacawa said...

there's this stuff called "second skin" that i've used in the unfortuate instances when i've had road rash. it's a water-based jelly that promotes healing. depending on the severity of your burn you might want to check it out. i'd say that I healed twice as fast with it.

August 31, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Broadsheet said...

I'm not a doctor, I just play one at work....seriously though: don't pop it, keep it moist and covered, and Alleve or ibuprofen. For surface pain - ice, or a topical spray with lidocaine in it will help.

Not much else you can do, which is why burns are such a painful injury.

August 31, 2006 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RN here:

Don't put a band-aid on it unless it pops. If that happens, wash and dry it well, then do as missy says and put neosporin on it and cover it with a band aid. There's no need to put a band-aid on a blister unless it pops.

And too much ice won't hurt it. Put an ice-pack on it as long as it feels good.

Don't take too much ibuprofen though, as it can cause ulcers.

Good luck.

August 31, 2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

ris i am SO sorry!!! yep that's about all the advice i have...just thinking of you...

September 01, 2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger denish roy said...

It is a very useful post. It has clearly mentioned about backlinking. So commenting can be a fruitful way to do so. Keep it up and thanks to the writer.pan card se loan kaise le

October 28, 2021 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home