Sunday, August 20, 2006

Netflix and Sundays

What heavy Sunday morning. I just watched American History X. I'd never seen it before. But I got it. I get it.

How do you write a pseudo-review on a movie that's been reviewed, analyzed, quoted and recommended? I'd be surprised if any of my readers hadn't seen it - but I am often the last one to see movies of consequence. It took me 3 years to watch Schindler's List, because when it came out I didn't feel I could handle it. When I did finally watch it I loved it... which is what happened here. American History X was moving.

I'm actually still slightly nauseous from the murder scene at the beginning of the movie. Some images tend to haunt me forever: like a few scenes from Seven, and one in particular from Saw (which eliminated any chance of me seeing Saw II, by the way). But beyond the strong images in AHX, it's a strong story. You know the whole time you are watching it that it can't end well, but I really thought it would be Derek that would go, not the little brother.

Anyway, I give it 5 stars. I know. I've put it up there next to Amadeus. But some movies receive 5 stars because they are well-crafted, insightful stories, while others succeed in entertaining me to the highest degree. There are different reasons a movie can earn 5 stars.

This movie has left a lasting impression on me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw American History X shortly after it was released on video/DVD, and immediately went out and bought it. It retains its power through repeated viewings, and I still have to turn my head after the line "wrap your teeth around the curb".
I didn't actually watch Schindler's List until last year. I really wish I'd have seen it sooner.

August 21, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Yeah... I actually stuck my fingers in my ears, turned away and yelled "aaaahhh" for a good 20 seconds until it was over. I was afraid there would be a sound associated with it - and I don't need that memory...

August 21, 2006 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home