Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No Ramen Shame

Apparently a 29 year old woman eating ramen noodles for lunch is not a shameful thing. My friend, John, sent me the following article from MSNBC.com.

A person in their 30s, with a family and a mortgage, should not have to schedule lunch for a time where nobody will notice a bag of ramen being prepared. And yet that's what I find myself doing -- dressed in a suit and tie, using the 190-degree water in our office kitchen to heat up a bowl of six-for-a-dollar soup. That's not because I'm a penny-pinching cheapo (well, not just because of that). It's all about the taste. Really. Whether it's chicken-flavored Oodles of Noodles or something higher-end (as much as 99 cents a pack!) from the Asian supermarket by the office, it's hard to go wrong with a hot lunch that comes with its own seasoning packets chock full of monosodium glutamate. Plus, does any other lunch food have that kind of versatility? Paired with a tuna sandwich, it's part of a well-balanced meal. On its own, it serves as the perfect light lunch. Plus it's easy to spice up. Add vegetables, hot sauce, beef, chicken, random leftovers … ramen noodles can be pretty much anything you want them to be. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
-Craig Berman

Oh yeah. And I forgot to mention that they were on sale at Safeway: 10 soups for $1.00.

(Paying off those credit cards 10 cents at a time...)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I celebrate my ramen pride! Although I did know a guy in college who started showing signs of scurvy because that's all he ate. So if your gums aren't bleeding, you should have no worries

August 15, 2006 11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the last time I had snack (occasionally smack) ramen was in graduate school. Since then, I can say ramen-free since '98!

August 16, 2006 7:52 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I'm a fan of kraft mac & cheese.

August 16, 2006 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is this Berman fellow? I like how he's livin!

August 16, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

There is a new cook book out. It is something like 101 Uses for Ramen.

August 19, 2006 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home