Sunday, July 01, 2007

The "30" Project #20 & #21

I have accomplished quite a bit today given that I spent three hours at the pool again. Today I met CJ's friend, Nicole, who I've heard a lot about over the last year but never met. We're all actually a lot a like and it was a lot of fun. We're planning a reunion of sorts really soon, so I am looking forward to it. Thanks for hosting, CJ. :)

Now on to the project...

I've "fixed" the two major things I didn't like about myself. I've paid to have my teeth and eyes done.

Maybe the accomplishment here should be paying them off (which I haven't done yet), but I guess my point in this post is that I grew up self conscious about my eyes and teeth, and as an adult, I have made strides to fix what I didn't like and reverse those feelings.

First are my teeth, which had staining on them due to medicines I took when I was very little. People often referred to them as 'fluoride stains,' but that's not what they were. The staining, or discoloration, was mainly on my two front teeth, and when I was about 23 or so, I paid for veneers for my front teeth. I can't tell you how much my vision of myself improved after this. It sounds so vain, but I was always paranoid that people were looking at my teeth and I'm sure I smile 100x more now that I had this done.

Second are my eyes. I've posted about these procedures (all four of them) quite extensively, so I won't torture my readers with details (again), but my poor eyesight was always a hindrance for me. I had a few long term relationships where the guy didn't see me in my glasses (sans contacts) for over a year because I worried what he'd think of the 'nerdy' Charissa. I looked so different in my glasses that I worried guys would see the 'ugly' nerd in me and run the other way. Of course, as I have grown older this feeling has faded, and one of the strongest driving points to get the surgery for me was actually safety. I felt really vulnerable knowing that without my glasses or contacts, I would be 100% vulnerable to any sort of attack.

So this post sounds vain, I guess... but to those who know me - I know you get my drift. It's a great feeling to have the power to change your life, whether it's five pounds (still working on it!), education and learning, or whether it's completely superficial.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even as a small child you knew what you wanted. Now as a women you do what it takes to get it, that seems very adult to me.

Mom

July 01, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Your mom is right. It takes a lot of strength to go for and get what you want. You deserve every happiness whether you give it to yourself as a gift or it comes from another source.

July 02, 2007 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home