Sunday, August 12, 2007

Reader Poll

I just don't understand this... but maybe I'm quirky, so I'm polling my reader base. What do you think?



Speed HUMPS?


Blogger Jodi said...

I don't think I ever saw them called humps until I moved to the east coast. I think humps sounds kind of dirty... I vote for speed bumps!

August 12, 2007 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Alex said...


Speed bumps are the smaller of the two but have a higher angle of elevation. You find them in parking lots.

Speed humps are longer, usually 8-15 feet longer and are more rolling. You find them in communities that overly concerned with people racing down the street.

Both are a pain in the ass.

August 12, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger danielle said...

What Alex said. For example, there are speed bumps in the Rotunda parking lot and speed humps on Homeland Ave. near Loyola.

And you are quirky! :) It's a good thing. We must be quirky for responding.

August 12, 2007 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Maggie said...

Speed bumps.

August 12, 2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

speed bumps! the other things to try and get people driving too fast to slow down are called rumble strips. i never heard of speed humps, but it does sound dirty.

August 12, 2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

Yeah, they're different, as noted.

They're both pretty stupid, though, since either people know they're there, and adjust their driving accordingly (option a: drive too fast, brake hard, bump, accelerate or option b: drive exactly the too-fast speed over them that you know your car can take) or they don't know, and hold up traffic as they gingerly ease over them or have to adjust after ramming them.

Also, the main people that need to slow down are people that drive that route all the time, ie: residents. Why do you think there are so many in suburban cul-de-sac communities? A better solution would be to design residential streets that can't be driven 50 on.

August 12, 2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

I agree with Alex. That is how they are labeled down here. The speed humps are usually used here on the roads people use as short cuts.

August 12, 2007 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Mom said...

Speed Humps

Speed humps are raised devices, parabolic in shape, placed across the road to slow traffic. They are often considered the most traditional traffic calming solution. Speed humps slow traffic more gradually than speed bumps, although less so than speed tables.


but call 'em what you want - actually, I agree with Jodi - speed bumps sounds so much .... ah better.

August 12, 2007 10:40 PM  
Blogger Summer said...


but actually, what Alex said.

August 13, 2007 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home