Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Breakthrough

So... I'm high strung - you know, just in case you didn't notice - and I have been taking some much needed me time in recent weeks reflecting on my insecurities, my faults, and my overall outlook on life. For the most part, it's been good, although at times it has been uncomfortable as I look at myself and how my issues and my behaviors effect the world around me. It's be both heartbreaking and enlightening, but even in this short amount of time I've made some significant discoveries that are great first steps.

That all said... I had a breakthrough this week.

Last week at work I was made aware of a moderate crisis that had the potential to disrupt quite a bit of business. Normally, these situations quickly cause me to get worked up, and I begin to worry and exhaust myself trying to think of every way to make the situation better. It's absolutely ridiculous, I know, and when I get all worked up, "Calm down," or "Chill out," are the worst things that anyone can say to me. Although I think I cover pretty well on the outside, I'm just not good at staying calm on the inside when a potential crisis is on the horizon.

So last Friday I spent the afternoon trying to lessen the effect of the problem. More people were made aware of the situation yesterday, and it gained quite a bit of visibility because of the potential fallout. As usual, I threw myself into finding a resolution (because that's what I do)... but not as usual... I stayed completely calm.

Now don't misunderstand, this particular problem was extremely important to me, and if a "fix" had not been found, it would have wiped away a lot of hard work. I took this very seriously. Well, today we received good news that the issue was being handled, and I realized for the first time that I hadn't let the problem destroy me. I did as much as I could to find a resolution, but somehow I seemed to grasp (for once) that getting all worked up wasn't going to solve anything... and life went on.

This may seem insignificant to many of you, but for me, it's a breakthrough - I managed to overcome the stress and stay completely collected. It's funny to me that I didn't realize how well I'd done until after it was resolved, and then it was one of those "OH" moments.

*sigh*

Pretty cool.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ticket 4 Two said...

Hey! I'm another Bawlmer transplant blogger. Nice to meet cha. On the internet at least... :)

November 13, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

uh, can ya teach me?

November 14, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

My coworkers have all been alerted to the ill-advisedness of telling me to "calm down", to the point that when they accidentally say it now, they cringe.

I still wish I could just not get worked up in the first place, though. Good work!

November 14, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

I think I went through this too but now I just realize that I guess I don't care quite as much now... it will all work out... and I'm one of those people who is obligated by job title to FIX most problems, so maybe it's because I've seen so many... I don't know. There is usually a solution, but to get to it you have to think rationally and logically so freaking out doesn't really help with that. easier said than done, I know. Congrats on handling it!

November 14, 2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Awesome possum.

November 14, 2007 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg. Your eyes are so blue.

November 14, 2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Jim-the Classical Liberal (Views from the Right) said...

You, high strung? NAAAAAHHH

November 14, 2007 4:00 PM  
Blogger CindyWags said...

Good for you!

November 14, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

Hooray for You!!!

November 14, 2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home