Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Endings? Or Beginnings?

So today was my last day as a 30 year old, and I'll be officially "in my 30s" around 5:30 AM (I think). It's a curious time for me... full of questions and curiosities, a few "what ifs" and many "I wonders." I could post how excited I am to be moving forward, to be growing, blah, blah, blah... but I don't really feel that way. I'm not sad at all. I'm not thrilled, certainly. And I'm not exactly indifferent. It's likely that tomorrow will feel very much like today, and next week will feel like last week. Life just doesn't change overnight. You can usually see it coming if you're paying any attention at all.

Tonight, while making a very pathetic attempt to clean, I decided to toss out those pretty plants I bought for the deck. The 80-100 degree Baltimore June destroyed them, and although I'd kept them living for a good while, I finally gave up a few weeks ago. My schedule doesn't allow for watering three times a day, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I took the first one down and lobbed it over the side of the deck into the trash can without incident, but when I took down the second one, I noticed a curious white object among the dead branches. An egg. Yes, really. I've been eyeing it for awhile tonight, and it appears completely unfertilized, but I have to wonder if I destroyed its chances during one of my many waterings, or if the Baltimore heat was the culprit. I have no clue, although I strangely feel sad about it.

To dream of an egg promises that something new is about to happen in your life. Somehow... I don't think that translation carries over here.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Wait, I thought dreaming of a chicken meant that something new was about to happen in life, not the egg.... damnit.

Anyway, happy birthday. 31 is going to rock, just wait and see. :)

July 09, 2008 11:18 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Happy Birthday!! Don't worry, I think older people continually tell us the thirties are the best decade of your life because you start to realize your own wisdom from three full decades on the planet. Wisdom doesn't just happen, it comes about from the realization of a full life behind you and a full life awaiting you.

July 10, 2008 1:56 AM  
Blogger Double Dogged said...

Happy Birthday, it only gets better!

Frank

July 10, 2008 6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the egg this way:
Someone's egg is someone else's omelet.

Speaking as someone in their thirties, it's not as bad as it may seem. It's good clean fun, so prepare to live it up and enjoy it.

July 10, 2008 7:29 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! i'm so glad you're first ;)

July 10, 2008 7:58 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

I've been 31 for all of a month now and it's not so bad. Happy Birthday!

My trick to container plants is using those silicon crystals mixed in with the soil. They hold water so you don't have to water quite so often. Still almost daily, but not more than that. It works for me. They sell them at Home Depot/Lowe's.

July 10, 2008 9:28 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Every Day brings something NEW Rissa!

July 10, 2008 12:13 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I thought that turning 25, then 31 was harder than turning 30. I hope you enjoy being surrounded by friends (family) tonight. Happy Birthday, C!

July 10, 2008 3:58 PM  
Blogger Missy B said...

I felt the same way on my birthday last month. I hope you had a great day. Happy Belated Birthday to you. Love and hugs.

July 11, 2008 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home