Monday, August 18, 2008

New Camera

So I'm going to get myself a new camera... and after some research today, I am leaning heavily towards the PowerShot SD1100 IS. It is second or third best on Consumer Reports, and rated 7.6/10 on cNet. Most reviews are very positive, with a few on Amazon referencing a "lens error, restart" issue (which is apparently common for all telescoping lenses... not just this one). The only thing holding me back just a little is that it only has 8 mega pixels (wanted 10) and 4x optical zoom (wanted more). But all reviews say that it's stellar quality just the same. Retail price is somewhere between $200-$250.

But now there's the new Canon SD line to confuse me just a little more: PowerShot SD890 IS, PowerShot SD790 IS, PowerShot SD770 IS. And they're "new." Since I think the SD890 IS is out of my price range ($379), I compared the other three on Canon's web site. What am I giving up with the SD110 IS? 10 mega pixels, 1/60-1/1500 sec shutter speed options, faster shooting speed, and a larger LCD. Still a 4x zoom.

So what do you think? I'm a fan of SD790/SD770's 10 mega pixels and the super fast shutter speed - just think of all of the lightening photos I could to take! But that may not be worth it. I don't know! Does anyone have the SD1100 IS or know anyone with it? Of course, I want the Bohemian Brown color (see pic) because it's pretty. I'm about 85% of the way there with this camera, I just need some feedback. I know some of you have lots of web surfing time at work (coughjwercough), so if you see it for any great prices when you look it up... tell me! (Best Buy walk-in price is $249.99).

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

The ELPH is a solid camera. Amazing depth of picture, lots flexibility with the settings, but also easy presets, and on top of that it's compact and sturdy. I dropped mine down a flight of wooden stairs the first week I had it--I about had a heart attack--but it was fine.

Also, you won't see the difference between 8 and 10 MPX on any camera with those lenses. Not if you're doing casual/amateur stuff with it especially.

August 18, 2008 10:09 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

i second the not seeing much difference between 8 and 10 mpx...unless you are printing HUGE
H U G E prints. i would suggest something that if you wanted to play with some manual settings you could (apt and shutter speed) it really can improve your pictures. i am not familiar with a lot of point and shoots, but something that has a quick reaction time i am sure is a plus...did i help at all? probably not

August 18, 2008 10:38 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Dell - $209.99 inc 3-5 day shipping
OR
Newegg - $216.26 inc guaranteed 3 day shipping

August 19, 2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger The Baltimore Babe said...

Check out DPreview.com . They also have really good breakdown and reviews of the cameras. Also go to Circuit City and check out the cameras.

August 19, 2008 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom did a lot of research himself as to which camera he was going to get for our honeymoon, and he chose: Olympus Stylus 1010...it takes the best photos, and he says that Olympus has the best cameras. It has a proprietary battery, so you just recharge it...The battery life is great.
Good Luck,
Annie

August 19, 2008 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home