Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Baltimore Honfest 2006


Today Jess, Jill, Em and I went to the annual Baltimore Honfest. I look like a bit of a dork in this photo, but oh well.

For those of you that don't know, "hon" is the mascot, if you will, of Baltimore. She isn't a specific person, but more like a character. She's a 1950-ish woman with a beehive hairdo, TONS of makeup, and head to toe gaudiness. If you've ever see HAIRSPRAY, I guarantee you've seen her. Many Baltimore natives call everyone "hon," such as, "do ya want fries with that, hon?" Really. It's just like that.

So every summer there's the Honfest in Hampden, which is a neighborhood north of downtown. It's pretty much a street festival with merchants and food vendors, like crab cakes (of course), pit beef, corn, etc. People come to the Honfest dressed like a Hon, and there are booths at the festival that will dress you if you want.

Here are some photos from the day...

This Hon let me take her picture. Notice the beehive, sparky jewelry and sunglasses? Except for the fact that she's not wearing any pink, she's perfect!







These Hons came dressed alike. Same shirt, skirt and boa! But look a little closer. Notice anything interesting?



And our four-legged friends got in on the fun, too! Can you believe this? Her owner said that it's completely safe. Uh, okay.

This year's Honfest was my third year in a row. I bought a gorgeous pottery plate (half price, too!), and had some delicious pit beef... not to mention great company. I can't wait until next year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

Those hon's are not girls. I needed something that funny. Thanks.

June 11, 2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Man I wish we had cool things like that here...

June 12, 2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home