Sunday, June 11, 2006

Survivor Harbor 7


This morning Dave, Heather and I participated in the Survivor Harbor 7. The photo above is from before the race. There is a 7 mile portion of the race, as well as a 3 mile portion, and we did the 3 miler. Many participants in the race were athletes living with chronic disease or recovering from a catastrophic illness or injury. There were a number of athletes in the racing wheelchairs - it was really incredible.

The race circles the Baltimore Harbor, with the 7 mile portion starting at Tide Point (the old Tide detergent factory) and the 3 mile portion starting at the Science Center (in the Inner Harbor). Both ended at the Can Company in Canton.

All-in-all, I'm happy, but due to my own stupidity, I didn't hydrate enough and got shin splints in the first mile. I tried to stretch them out a few times, but there was really no hope. It was pretty painful. But despite the shin splints, I made the same time that I made for the "Making Tracks for Celiacs 5k" a month or so ago. It is now apparent to me that I have to work on my cardio, because my legs are getting a lot stronger, but I still can't sprint distances without getting out of breath. As eeyore would say, "oh bother."

Here are some more photos from today. Thanks to Dave for running with the camera so that we can have some of these photos. :)

Charissa crossing the finish line at about 42 minutes
Heather and Dave post-race waiting for the bus
Charissa and Heather post race

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy B said...

Wow. I'm impressed. Great job Charissa.

June 11, 2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Seriously...so cool.

June 12, 2006 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home