Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Charissa Sleep Test #4

I felt pretty good today. I had a few stress-filled moments at work (no shocker there), but a few of us did sushi for lunch, and I accomplished a lot in the afternoon. The worst part of the day actually occurred after work when I went shopping for that infamous cocktail dress. Grrrrr....

You know, most days I like being short. Being short probably made me loud because I had to speak up to be noticed. Being short is my body, my humor, my confidence and my character. It is everything I am, and I am happy about that. But today when I was searching for a dress, and when every single dress fit me on top but was way too long... my confidence, my good mood, and my humor all went out the window. It's so frustrating to try on skirts and dresses and have them be ridiculously long. And the solution isn't as easy as having those clothes altered. Nope. When a dress has a chiffon layer, or a lace overlay, or a special bottom hem... it's way too much of a pain in the arse to have it altered. So you take the dress off, hang it back on the hanger, and you walk away.

I hate dresses.

After an hour and a half walking around Towson Towne Center, I left MACY's with a flapper-ish dress. It's black and instead of the typical fringe, it has squares of material that are layered. I'll try to take a photo of it to show, but it's black, simple and (at least) mildly fun. I know I have to adjust the straps a little, and I may take the lowest layer of fringe/squares off (I think I can do that with a seam ripper), but I think it will work. It will also help that I'm getting a spray tan tomorrow and my highlights done and hair cut on Saturday. After trying on dress after dress and looking at my white legs, I'm gonna need this pick me up.

* ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * **

I feel like a terrible friend... once again I skipped out on Wes and Drew, but I have to keep up this sleep thing for a few nights in a row to see if I can make a difference in the way that I feel. They play at Lager's tomorrow, so I think I'll go and see them then. (Let me know if any of you are interested!)

I can't wait to climb into bed. Tonight I am repeating the DreamScape Tea, Calms Forte and Carlos Nakai mix. Sleep is good.

5 Comments:

Blogger cherylann said...

sorry you had a shopping bummer. my friend lynn has a problem shopping too, but that's because she is so tall... 6'3". so all pants, skirts, shirts- everything are too short or too big on her. i feel your pain though. although i am not 4'11", i'm short. it sounds like your dress is cute though. post pictures... and you didn't tell us if you bought cute strappy shoes!!!

December 07, 2006 2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally found a dress. Sorry you had such a challenge. :( I'm sure you look fantastic in it, though. I didn't got see Wes and Drew either. Went to Gaithersburg...I felt bad too. I'm not sure about tonight...

December 07, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

The shopping world is not fun when you don't fit into the mold. I'm 5'10" and I hate shopping for dresses too because they're too short. Trying to buy something ankle length that actually comes to mid calf... NOT flattering... Want knee length and you realize you could actually be flashing too much for the office? Not fun... and you can't get things lengthened either. It sucks. This is probably why I usually just wear pants.

December 07, 2006 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across a website called
www.getsomesleep.com
Check it out - perhaps there is something there can can help
Check this out too - too cute....

http://ww12.e-tractions.com/snowglobe/globe.htm
The above is supposed to be onone line

December 07, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Yay for spray tans! A little (fake) sunshine will make you feel better! And sleep better, too. Oh, yes, it will!

December 07, 2006 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home