Monday, January 01, 2007

Five and Five

Okay, I'm making up a meme. Why not? Someone has to make these things up, right? This meme is for FIVE accomplishments in 2006 that changed your life, and FIVE goals (no weight loss goals, please) that will impact your world in 2007.

FIVE for 2006
1. Had my eye surgery. It is (still) costing me a fortune, but it has drastically changed my quality of life. I went from legally blind (pretty much) to no glasses and no contacts. I haven't been glasses free since I was in first grade.
2. Reconnected with Wes. This is significant for many, many reasons. First, it tested my ability to forgive others, and as a result of being able to do that I have earned a loyal friend who accepts me for who I am (bossiness, bitchiness, and all). It has been a surprising turn of events, but a worthwhile effort all the same. Second, I have met CJ, Angie, Donna, Drew, Jess and reconnected with Russ in the process. These people mean the world to me. I love all of you, and can't imagine my life without you in it.
3. My new job. I spent the last year or so being discontented with my work and my career. I felt like I was just sliding by and I was completely unchallenged. This fall gave me an opportunity to take my career to new heights, and although my stress levels are temporarily higher as well, I am making huge advances towards becoming the successful woman that I've worked hard to become.
4. Jill and Rob. This summer I spent a huge amount of time with Jill and Rob and it brought us crazy close. I love these two people so much, and even though I no longer see them every day, I know that we'll be friends for a long time. You two are amazing and so special to me.
5. My blog. Sounds silly - especially to those who don't blog - but this baby has given me an outlet to emote, brainstorm and dream. My writing style has really solidified, my spelling has improved and I think I'm a half-decent writer. Besides all of this, I've met so many great people because of this little 'hobby.' Thank you all for your friendship and for tuning in to read.

FIVE for 2007
1. One last eye procedure is needed. I am covered (for free) for any touch-up surgeries within one year of the three that I've had, and I need one more procedure to correct what's left of my astigmatism. It should be easy, but the new job is so far away from the eye doctor that it makes it hard to schedule an appointment. This is a priority for me in the next few months.
2. Dating resumes! I went on a dating hiatus in 2006 while I started the eye surgery process, and never really got back in the game. Don't get me wrong, I had a few dates here and there, but it's not something that I took very seriously. I'm ready to refocus this year, and I even have my eyes on a few prospects! ;)
3. Pay off bills. The new job has afforded me the extra income to take care of my old debt. I am looking forward to being free of that weight. It's about time to take care of that responsibility and live life comfortably.
4. More 5Ks! I ran a few of these in the early summer of 2006, but when the weather turned gross, I stopped. No only are these important fundraisers for special causes, but I need to improve my cardio. I'm aging (gracefully) and need to pay more attention to my health this year.
5. Accepting turning 30. My life is so great, but sometimes I reflect on the differences between what I have accomplished and what I meant to accomplish by age 30. Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic that I am the youngest member on my team at work... I have the perfect job and fabulous friends. Finding love has been relatively disappointing, but I wouldn't sacrifice what I've done and where I've gotten for what I may have missed. It's important to remember that partners should make you want to be a better person, and too many people overlook that small fact. Bring on 30. I'll be ready.

I tag everyone on my blogroll, plus Jess. Let's see how many of you READ my blog regularly!! Haha! :) Much love to you and best wishes in this new year.

6 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

I'll play! But I need to think about it a bit first.

Happy New Year! Congratulations on your '06 accomplishments and best of luck with your goals in '07.

January 01, 2007 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charissa, I've been reading your blog for a while and really enjoying it (Yes, I think you're a very good writer!)

Take it from me, your thirties will be better than your twenties! Everyone I've ever known (including myself!) have discovered that one's thirties are much easier -- because, by that time, you've learned some things about yourself, you have a better idea of what works for you -- and what doesn't! -- and you begin to feel more comfortable in your own skin.

So don't dread turning 30 -- look forward to it!

You have done a great job clarifying your goals, and I have no doubt that you will reach them!

Happy New Year!!

January 01, 2007 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may attempt to do this, but I cannot make any promises. That's a lot of stuff to list, and admittedly I don't think I have that much to write about.

January 01, 2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

Julie: Go for it. I know you can do it; you and Polly have had a amazing year with more to come.

JJT: Oh yee of little faith: at least do the 2007 goals! Give yourself something to strive for! :)

Ann: I am speechless. Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. I have no doubt that my life is getting better each and every day... it's my experiences that make have made me who I am. Thanks for reading and sharing your enthusiasm. I hope today's comments won't be your last. Happy New Year to you.

January 01, 2007 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the laughs, talks, & friendship. our relationship has taught me a lot and i admire/appreciate your points of view on so many things. i'm honored to be your good friend.
WE LOVE YOU, C!

January 02, 2007 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goals are the easy part, in some respect. Accomplishments, however, are much harder to come by if one tends not to toot their own horn.

My goals are doable, though.

January 02, 2007 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home