Friday, February 23, 2007

Today's Cary Grant is...

...George Clooney? Hmmmm...

I am watching TLC right now, a show called "The Greatest Fashion Icons in Film," which highlights folks like Katharine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor and matches a modern actor/actress to that style. The official show description: This special celebrates legendary fashion icons in cinema, yet also has a surprising, contemporary twist. Not only do we focus on the great fashion moments, scenes that are iconic, we also celebrate which of today's stars best exemplify fashion legends.

For many of them, I get it. I can make a correlation between Katharine Hepburn in her man/woman style filled with class, to Diane Keaton. Absolutely. Or how about Katherine Hepburn and Cate Blanchett? After all, Cate played Katherine in The Aviator.

Elizabeth Taylor and Catherine Zeta-Jones - okay
Sidney Poitier and Denzel Washington - eh, fine
Marilyn Monroe and Scarlett Johansson - I can see it

But Cary Grant and George Clooney? No. George is good looking, but when I think of him in Syriana or ER... he's just not even close! He's way more of a lumberjack than a Cary Grant.

At the end of the day, Cary is unmatched in my book - on the same pedestal as Audrey Hepburn. Unique. Original. They are each one of a kind. Sorry, George.

4 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I just watched 1938's "Holiday" with Grant and Hepburn. Nearly ruined Hepburn's career.

February 24, 2007 1:30 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Surely they were thinking of George Clooney in Batman & Robin...

:o)

February 24, 2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I never understood the appeal of George Clooney. I just don't get it. I think he's a funny, and a decent actor, but sexy.... no no my friend. Comparing him to Cary Grant is wrong on so many levels. And I agree with you- old timers like Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant and Gene Kelly are legends and shouldn't really be compared to anyone today.

February 24, 2007 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any discussion on style MUST include Fred Astaire. The ultimate sophisticated gentleman.

February 26, 2007 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home