Friday, August 24, 2007

A Most Unusual Day

The strangest thing happened when I left work today - I got lost.

I never get lost. Like, never. 'Lost' in Charissa-world is realizing I turned one street too early or too late and zig zagging my way back to the correct street. Today I got lost lost.

What happened is that I decided on the way home that I wanted Taco Bell. Okay, so I know it's against the diet, but I wanted it, so I decided to get it. Anyway, I took an exit off of the highway that I've never taken before, followed signs towards the west, and quickly realized I was in an area that I have felt lost in before. I should have turned around, I know; but being me, I thought, "I can do this," and I drove in the general direction of home. After 3 or 4 minutes, I was more lost than I've ever felt in Baltimore.

It's important to note that at no point during my lost time did I feel unsafe, but I was kind of anxious because knew I was bordering on (or inside of) neighborhoods I'd prefer not to be in. What made the situation even more complicated is that downhill wasn't pointing in the right direction. (In Baltimore, downhill is generally south towards the water, AKA home.)

I was lost for a mere 5-10 minutes, but in lost time that's a long time. I hated that I felt disoriented. It was frustrating to have absolutely no sense of direction, and it occurred to me that this is how people with no sense of direction feel when they get lost. It was horrible, and I am so sorry for all of you people who experience it regularly. I get it now. I do. But low and behold, I remained calm and was able to figure out where I was once I spotted John Hopkins.

Okay, so I'm going to say where I was lost, and I'm hoping that my mom and dad don't know Baltimore well enough to get scared. (Sorry, parents.) Ready? I was in East Baltimore... like the 'North Avenue' part of East Baltimore. Oh my.

Well, for the record, I would like to report that I have looked at a map since I've been home and am now fully aware of what I did and where I was. Next time I'll know how where to turn to avoid the area. It'll be fine. Parents... calm down. I'm at home on the couch with my laptop, dog and cat. How much more safe could I be?

6 Comments:

Blogger jwer said...

Hey now. Some of us LIVE off North Avenue, you know...

August 25, 2007 12:44 AM  
Blogger kris said...

I was gonna say, I've seen scarier hoods in the city than the North Ave corridor...

August 25, 2007 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Keep calm"

There is probably no better suggestion for anyone in a tense situation. Losing one's cool when you need to focus on the problem at hand is what gets many people in trouble.

Glad you remembered that :)

Love,
Dad

August 25, 2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Cham said...

North Avenue has some of the best architecture this city has to offer. Spend less time looking at a map and more time looking up and you will be surprised.

August 25, 2007 8:51 AM  
Blogger Charissa said...

JWER: Different part of North Ave. :)

AG: Certainly there are worse places, that's why I wasn't immediately frightened. But I generally avoid neighborhoods where people are regularly shot.

Dad: Thanks!

Cham: Normally I would, but it was dusk... I was more interested in trying to get home (and taco bell). My bad.

August 25, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Pigtown*Design said...

Did it involve going up Broadway? It's kind of funny when you get to the north end.

August 28, 2007 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home