Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Voted For Hillary

I just felt like getting that out of the way. There have been a lot of Obama folks out there today, so I just wanted to be straight up about where I'm at. As of 9 PM, there are 30 more minutes left in the Maryland Primary (extended a total of 90 minutes due to the inclement weather), and no one is really reporting results or making any guesses on the state. In fact, the lead story on the news is still the weather...

Prior to today, the projection has been that Obama might sweep MD, VA and DC... and if he manages to do so, I'll be holding out for Texas and Ohio, where Clinton is leading. The Potomac Primary consists of a mere 168 delegates, whereas Texas and Ohio combined have 234 delegates. Hell, PA has 188 delegates... so if my girl can keep momentum in states like those... I'm still feeling relatively confident.

But, if I don't get my way... I'm comfortable with Obama. In fact, I'm comfortable with McCain. Hillary's most assuredly my top choice, but none of the top three presidential candidates freak me out. At this point, there is still a lot of time.

Hmmm... I guess if Hillary wins, I'll have to stop calling her "my girl," won't I?

Update:
I took a survey on Electoral Compass, and I received the following results. I was closer to Edwards, but since he's out, I am next-closest to Hillary. It's like I actually know myself or something...

9 Comments:

Blogger Jim-the Classical Liberal (Views from the Right) said...

Rissa--

There is hope for you yet! I figure you should cross the economic line as you continue to succeed in your career and make more money (and realize that the government takes too much from you!). The social, well...that may take a little more work, but your average crosses the progressive/traditional line.

No surprise for me...my pencil was midway between the line from the right side of Romney's picture and the right side of Thompson's picture. My elipse went from the bottom of the chart to the bottom of Guliani's pic (vertical axis) and from the right edge of the chart to well right of the progressive/traditional line (horizontal axis). Who would have guessed it?

February 13, 2008 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charissa,

I believe that Hillary, Obama and McCain would all do well. So, I have not decided who I want for President yet, still too much info. to follow.
I however, am hoping for a Hillary/Obama ticket. I think they would make a great pair in the White House and America, besides they get along well....lol
We will see.
Hugs,
Annie

February 13, 2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Shockingly (not), I am well to the left of anyone on the list. However, a number of those questions were extremely poorly worded and leading. For example, while raising taxes might reduce the deficit, it sure wouldn't if you didn't decrease spending...

In any event, McCain is much farther to the right than most people believe, Hillary has a little too much of the Nixon desperate entitlement for my liking, and Obama, well, not a lot there, is there?

Huckabee is just insane. I'm sure he means well, but he's insane, and horribly, horribly misinformed.

February 13, 2008 11:43 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Did you watch Obama's speech last night? Wouldn't it be nice to feel inspired again by someone leading the country? I do have to say that I would also feel okay with McCain (although at this point he would have to work really hard for my vote). I see him as an honorable and forthright person. We should be so lucky, especially after the last two presidents.

February 13, 2008 6:39 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

My issue with Obama is that he seems too idealistic... I need concrete decisions on issues. I need hard lines. I need lots of things that Obama isn't talking about... I dunno. I'm crossing my fingers for Hillary.

February 13, 2008 6:56 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I think i fell right about in the same spot as you... also closer to Edwards but that didn't go over too well so i also voted for Hillary. No wonder we get along :)

February 13, 2008 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came closer to Obama but am going to vote for Hillary, I think she can stand up to the ungodly pressure those creeps will put on her - but might have voted for edwards if he had stayed in - I do like Obama but he will be around a while, he is still young.
Don't like McCain much and he is too old anyway - Huckabee is a nut case not that we don't have one now - but two wrongs don't make a right..... unless you're talking right wing.

Mom

February 13, 2008 9:43 PM  
Blogger jwer said...

I think Obama has a lot of concrete plans, I just don't think any of them are going to get through Congress.

This speech is what made me prefer him to Hillary. And yet.

I agree with Jodi, though, we need a President who can be inspiring, and I really don't find Hillary inspiring. I think he would be able handle himself better against critics, too; Hillary has already demonstrated that she is willing to manipulate her image (ie: crying on cue) when she feels like people are perceiving her unfavorably. I hate pandering.

I really wish people would take a look at McCain's voting record before they say they'd be OK with him. They would not. Again, I think he's well-meaning and I think he has done a lot of great service to the country, but he would NOT be good for the country.

February 14, 2008 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with JWER 110%, right on!!
~annie

February 15, 2008 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home