Monday, March 24, 2008

Why Dating Sites Suck

I've been on this dating site for awhile at the suggestion of a friend (you know who you are!), and I frequently receive ridiculous emails. For the record, I've never actually met anyone from this site, in fact, I haven't checked my "inbox" in weeks and weeks, so I logged on yesterday to clear out my messages. I was surprised to find THE most ridiculous message I have ever received ever. It's super bad. And not only is it bad, but it's from a 40-something, which is clearly outside of my age range (sorry my 40-something friends).

Take a read... Ick.

"If I could write the beauty of your eyes
And in fresh numbers number all your graces,
The age to come would say, 'This poet lies;
Such heavenly touches ne'er touch'd earthly faces.'
So should my papers, yellow'd with their age,
Be scorn'd, like old men of less truth than tongue,
And your rights be term'd a poet's rage
And stretched metre of an antique song."

~ William Shakespeare ~

Lady [my screen name],

...forgive the intrusion, but I was haunting the various profiles, and happened across your intriguing (and tempting) resume, and was inspired to send you a little something to arouse your curiosity and entice a smile upon your resplendent visage...*smile*...

Your ethereal knight awaits your beckoning, princess. Will you share this dance?

Sincerely,
Gentleman Ghost

16 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

barf!!!

March 24, 2008 9:17 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Ye Gads!

March 24, 2008 11:22 PM  
Blogger cherylann said...

I actually know someone who would love to date a guy like that... if only he would lock her in a closet too. hrm. creepy.

March 25, 2008 4:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Sullivan said...

that gave me the CREEPS! your blog cracks me up! don't know if you remember me or not. I'm Marie's friend.

March 25, 2008 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats terrible. I mean, the nerve of the guy, trying to be romantic and original. What a hoser. He probably would have paid for his chivalry by getting financially raped on the first date anyway.

March 25, 2008 8:17 AM  
Blogger jwer said...

Zounds!

Also, almost everyone who uses *smile* should be killed. Painfully. Unless they're hot, then they can do what they like.

March 25, 2008 9:03 AM  
Blogger Jim-the Classical Liberal (Views from the Right) said...

I am sorry, my lady--I thought you would like it...

I'll try again another time with another screen name!

Jimmy

March 25, 2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

ewwwwwwww.


That's why I wrote to the guy that said "I like football, beer and REM." Simple enough.

Avoid poets. Heartache lies within.

March 25, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger CindyWags said...

You should ask if he wants to meet you at Medieval Times for dinner.

March 25, 2008 1:38 PM  
Blogger acw said...

You should get him to take you to the Renaissance Festival.

March 25, 2008 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dated a poet, nice at the romatnic MOMENTS, but truly sucked in the end, you can only take so much mush.
They all think "they are crazy cool", or should I say "falling soflty like evergreen leaves from the trees of life within your heart."
~Annie
ps. and I am a poet...lol

March 25, 2008 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

evergreen leaves?

March 26, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger Carol Ott said...

Or...

He could have sent you a nude photo of himself via his cel.

Yes someone did that to me yesterday. WTF. Who DOES that????

April 02, 2008 8:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 14, 2008 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 28, 2009 4:34 AM  
Blogger Christopher Maples said...

A little goofy, but I think you guys are overreacting, not to mention generalizing. I don't see anything that is too specific in his message that says 'creep', just lots of theatrics in a mauve sort of way. If you're not into it, there's no reason to be barfing and such. In fact, most of these comments were worse than the Ghost's message. Notice that the two guys that commented actually objected as well, but in a less upfront way. Ye Gads, indeed!

September 20, 2009 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home