Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Review: Almost Moon

Well, I love Alice Sebold - I read Lovely Bones first - and it was amazing, then I read Lucky. And although I appreciate, or LIKE, her style, and I tend to like darker stories/tones, this one... I just don't know.

She left you wondering too much this time; and with the story she told, I didn't want to wonder. I wanted a clear, concise ending. I wanted finality. And I didn't get it. I started pulling away about mid-book... something just didn't feel right. Something seemed off. Not that it was becoming more intense or more desperate, but more disconnected, maybe. I won't blame it on poor writing, not at all... but the story in Almost Moon left me disjointed. Uncomfortable.

I like the book. I'd recommend it for the quality of writing, but this isn't what I wanted. I wanted something tighter, cleaner, more obvious. I wanted something more final. And this time, Alice Sebold just left my soul hanging.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My words exactly!

XO,
Annie

January 13, 2009 11:12 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I actually kind of felt that way at the end of Lovely Bones. It was certainly a good book, and I agree that her styles is great, but I just didn't feel satisfied with the ending.

Heather

January 13, 2009 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home